Backing up your Relai Bitcoin wallet is essential to avoid losing your coins in case you lose your phone, it breaks, or gets stolen. You can back up (and restore) your Relai wallet using the 12-word recovery phrase that is shown to your when you first open the app. You can also find your recovery phrase in the app’s settings.
Read on to learn how to restore your Relai Bitcoin wallet in case you need to.
How to Restore Your Relai Wallet on Your Smartphone
- Download the Relai app on to your device. Just head to your Apple App Store or Google Play Store, search for Relai, and hit ‘download’.
- Open the app.
- After the onboarding slides, you can choose between ‘Set up Bitcoin wallet’ and ‘Restore’.
- Click on ‘Restore.’
- Choose the language you want to app it and whether you want EUR or CHF as your app’s default currency.
- Enter your IBAN (the one you used Relai with to buy bitcoin).
- Type in your 12 word recovery phrase.
- Finally, choose a PIN to complete the process.
This is enough to restore your Relai Bitcoin wallet together with your whole transaction history. Everything should look as it did before!
How to Restore Your Relai Wallet in Electrum
Users who use Relai just as a wallet (and never buy or sell bitcoin) can’t restore their Relai wallet with their 12 words because you also need IBAN to restore your Relai wallet. In that case, we recommend restoring your wallet using the Electrum app.
To do so, download Electrum onto your laptop or PC. Open it and follow these simple steps:
- Choose a name for your wallet, for example “Relai Bitcoin wallet”, then click “next” select “standard wallet.”
- Click “next” select “I already have a seed”, then click “next” enter your seed (12 words you’ve written down from the Relai app), click “options” and tick “BIP39 seed”, then click “OK”.
- If your address starts with 1 select “legacy (p2pkh)”, then click “next” if your address starts with 3 select “p2sh-segwit (p2wpkh-p2sh)”, then click “next”.
- Click “next” go to “tools” -> “Electrum preferences -> Transactions -> untick “use change address.”
- Go back to your dashboard. You should see your whole transaction history and be able to send your BTC to wherever you want.